PEORIA, Ill. – Illinoisans in some parts of the state are close to being pulled back into what some equated to a lockdown if the recent surge in COVID-19 cases isn’t slowed.
“We’re at a danger point,” Gov. J.B. Pritzker said at the Peoria County Health Department, one of stops to urge citizens to take additional precautions to stop the spread of the virus that is now increasing across the state.
Pritzker said if those precautions aren’t taken at the local level, the state will step in and reimpose restrictions, including another stay-at-home order, if necessary.
“I’ll be frank, we need to see some change here in the Peoria area when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic,” he said. “This virus isn’t something we can wish away, so we have to act proactively to protect the ones we love. This pandemic is still among us.”
Peoria County has seen 33 new cases per day for the past two weeks, doubling its positivity rate to 4.3%. The state’s seven-day rolling positivity rate is 3.8%.
Pritzker gave a similar warning in Ottawa, which joins Peoria as a new COVID hotspot–regions in danger of seeing bars, restaurants and other businesses closed again, something that could happen in less than a week.
“If this region has four more days of people getting sicker and needing a hospital bed, that means bars will close again, a possible reduction of service at restaurants and smaller capacity limits at other activities,” Pritzker said.
Winnebago County, part of the North Region, reported a positivity rate of 3.9% Thursday but hasn’t been flagged as a new hotspot.
Peoria and LaSalle counties are in the North-Central Region.
- NORTH: Boone, Carroll, DeKalb, Jo Daviess, Lee, Ogle, Stephenson, Whiteside, Winnebago
- NORTH-CENTRAL: Bureau, Fulton, Grundy, Henderson, Henry, Kendall, Knox, LaSalle, Livingston, Marshall, McDonough, McLean, Mercer, Peoria, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Tazewell, Warren, Woodford
- WEST-CENTRAL: Adams, Brown, Calhoun, Cass, Christian, Greene, Hancock, Jersey, Logan, Macoupin, Mason, Mason, Menard, Montgomery, Morgan, Pike, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott
- METRO EAST: Bond, Clinton, Madison, Monroe, Randolph, St. Clair, Washington
- SOUTHERN: Alexander, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Marion, Massac, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Saline, Union, Wabash, Wayne, White, Williamson
- EAST-CENTRAL: Champaign, Clark, Clay, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, De Witt, Douglas, Edgar, Effingham, Fayette, Ford, Iroquois, Jasper, Lawrence, Macon, Moultrie, Piatt, Richland, Shelby, Vermillion
- SOUTH SUBURBAN: Kankakee, Will
- WEST SUBURBAN DuPage, Kane
- NORTH SUBURBAN: Lake, McHenry
- SUBURBAN COOK: Suburban Cook
- CHICAGO: City of Chicago
Illinois reported 1,772 new infections Thursday, including 18 additional deaths. State numbers include confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19.